Friday, January 10, 2014

Tami's Story

This is why I am a proud member of the Relentless4Raegan team!
Tami Komar
Last October, as I realized that I was about six months away from turning 40, I began to reflect on my life. I wouldn’t say that I was freaking out or anything, just kind of thoughtful. There are a lot of things that I thought I would have accomplished by now that I haven’t. The first thing that came to mind was that I haven’t ever run a marathon (or a half). I had been a runner on and off from high school until about age 27. My life, at that point, became so complex and stressful that I barely had time to pick my nose! Ok…so that was a little dramatic (and gross), but also kind of true.
So I began looking at different running clubs and local races. I’ve done this several times over the past ten years and I guess I was never motivated enough, because I didn’t register for or run in any of the races I researched. I needed some real motivation this time and simply approaching 40 wasn’t going to do it for me.
It was around this time that Jean texted me that she was getting a team together to support her friend Sam. My heart hurt for this mom that I had never met, and I hadn’t even heard the whole story yet. I wanted to be a part of this team but I was seriously hesitant. I’d been to Team in Training information sessions in the past and the thought of raising $2100 AND sticking with running enough to train scared the crap out of me! After debating with the voices in my head (just kidding…maybe), I realized that I needed to do this. It was the perfect time, the perfect motivation, and the perfect group I needed to succeed.
On April 27, 2014, eighteen days after I turn 40, I will complete my first half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment